Summer Internship #INT#
Who we are:
The Hotel and Gaming Trades Council (HTC), AFL-CIO, is a labor union that represents 40,000+ hotel, restaurant, and gaming workers throughout New York and New Jersey. We are widely recognized for negotiating the best union contracts in the world for hotel workers.
This is no accident. For many years, our Union has put tremendous effort into teaching our members about the threats we face and mobilizing them to fight for innovative contract language at the bargaining table and for legislation that protects and benefits working people at City Hall and our state capitals. As a result, HTC members are well-equipped to enforce their contracts on the job and thousands of our members regularly volunteer their time to build our power by getting out the vote for pro-worker local officials, rallying behind progressive legislation, and fighting alongside non-union workers to organize and win strong union contracts.
The Summer Internship will take place from June 5th — July 28th at our office in Midtown, Manhattan. During this 8-week internship, interns will gain hands-on exposure to different departments and roles within the organization. Interns will attend in-person grievance meetings and sit in on union-management negotiations with our contract enforcement team. Interns will also go into the field with our member mobilization team, traveling from shop to shop to communicate with members about pressing issues and mobilize them for upcoming union events. Interns will also work closely with the communications department, writing articles to report on union victories and events and working on other media projects requiring creativity and persuasiveness.
This position is ideal for students with a passion for social justice, strong writing abilities, and a desire to learn.
• Demonstrated commitment to social justice;
• Ability to communicate respectfully and comfortably with people from diverse backgrounds;
• Ability to write persuasively, clearly, and creatively
• Desire and ability to learn quickly and grow into positions of greater responsibility
• Thorough attention to details
• Ability to multitask, work efficiently, be well organized and reliable
• Resourcefulness and talent for problem-solving
• Persistence and determination
• Loyalty to the organization, with a sense of integrity
Extra consideration will be given for ANY of the following qualifications:
• Bilingual (in addition to English), especially in Spanish, Cantonese, Mandarin, Vietnamese, Russian, Polish, or Bengali;
• Strong computer skills and the ability to quickly learn new computer programs;
• Talent for photography, videography, and/or media design
• Experience working in the hotel, restaurant, hospitality, or other service industries.
Hours: 40 hours/week
Pay: $16 per hour - $20 per hour
Location: Midtown, Manhattan (in-person)
The Hotel and Gaming Trades Council, AFL-CIO, is an equal opportunity employer. All persons regardless of age, race, ethnicity, gender, religious affiliation, and sexual orientation are encouraged to apply.